Skip to main content

A world without plastic. Let’s be honest – almost everything we hear and read about plastic is negative. Plastic is bad for our environment and bad for our health.

There are numerous articles and posts in the news and on social media that show plastics polluting our oceans, killing wildlife, and damaging our health. It’s clear that high levels of plastic waste and low recycling rates around the globe have had significant implications and are of real public concern.

There are widespread calls to get rid of the universal material, but have you imagined a world without plastic? It would be a perfect world, right?

Well, let’s look at the facts first…

Ongoing research points out that plastic production contributes the least greenhouse gas emissions to the environment when compared to cardboard, glass, steel, and aluminium. Unexpectedly, the world’s most wasteful material should also be considered as one of the most useful, for now and for the future.

Facts about Plastic Packaging:

Thermoplastics are 100% recyclable

They were designed to be re-used, reheated, and reshaped repeatedly. Available unused plastic waste is a valuable and precious resource that we are failing to utilize and capitalize on.

Global food packaging

Rigid and flexible plastic packaging accounts for more than one third of all global food packaging. If we were to get rid of plastic today, we would lose our primary form of food packaging and increase food waste, risk food security (food preservation), and put people at risk of malnutrition, illness, and hunger.

Plastic use

Only 40% of plastic material is used for packaging, and the other 60% is used in the following industries;

  • Building and construction, Automotive, Electrical and electronics, Household appliances, Fashion, Furniture, Leisure, Sport, Agriculture and Medical.

The complexity to remove this material in its entirety would have significant drawbacks on our global economy and supply chain, as well as our lifestyle and livelihoods.

Versatility and durability

The versatility, durability, barrier protection and light weight properties of plastics make it an incredibly adaptable modern material for the 21st Century. The mechanical properties of plastics were scientifically engineered to offer a higher strength-to-weight ratio vs existing material. Thus, offering innovative, more efficient, and cost-effective solutions to society’s ever changing needs and challenges.

Carbon footprint

Plastic packaging and recyclates have a lower carbon footprint than glass, paper and aluminium, as they use less energy and water in their manufacturing process, distribution, and recycling. Developed governments aim to achieve a net zero carbon world by 2050, so existing and new “bio” plastics will play a key role in reaching this ambitious target.

We all want a world without plastic pollution, but we don’t want a world without plastic.

The public debate on plastics is demanding an immediate behaviour change, but our actions need to avoid unintended consequences. Instead of focusing our attention on eliminating plastic, we should pay attention to the education of reducing, re-using and recycling plastic waste to build a circular sustainable economy.

The truth remains that plastic is not the enemy, but poor education and uninformed decisions are.

At Plastic Bubbles, we are continuously looking for ways to reduce our environmental footprint and are committed to sustainable practices. We invite you to join us in our journey to educate one another, and contribute to reducing, re-using and recycling all waste.

Keep reading our blog to find out how you can Reduce, Reuse & Recycle ALL waste.

Follow us on LinkedIn  and share this post

Leave a Reply